Sunday, March 29, 2009

water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink

I really want a boyfriend, and apparently I'm in an upswing, popularity-wise. I can't figure out why this is. I've actually been feeling a little melancholy lately instead of my über-cheerful self, so it's not that my personality has improved, unless you want to argue that cheerful and happy is irritating, which can certainly be true. I like to think that I can pull it off, though. 

It's not anything really about the way that I look. I'm the same size, wearing the same clothes and doing my hair and makeup the same as I was last month. Well, I did get my hair cut today, but that doesn't really figure into the story. I guess it just comes in waves. 

I really don't think it's me. Instead, I believe that men are such primitive creatures that as soon as the weather begins to warm up and spring approaches, their biological ticks start clocking and they're just wild to find a partner to curl their toes with. Seriously. I didn't get asked out much at all in February. The vernal equinox passes and all of sudden boys are coming out of the woodwork. 

So far this spring (I guess we're seven days into it now), my ex-boyfriend G.S. announced that he plans to be my "friend for the next 40 years" and that oh-by-the-way, he loves me; an older friend (probably 30 years my senior) has been acting interested: invited me to lunch, to come over and tell him how to rearrange his stuff, tousled my hair, etc. -- all the usual flirting moves. D.W., who I was certain just wasn't that into me, considering that the last time we hung out (January time frame) he told me he really like me and wanted to spend more time with me and then never called again, asked me out yesterday and has called three times today and fb messaged me twice. His comment was "I've been wanting to reconnect again". Asshole. Doesn't he know that I know that he blew me off? I'm assuming an ex-girlfriend came back in the picture for a bit.

Sweet, funny, talented Jeff #4 is apparently pining away for me. I need to nip that one in the bud. It has the potential to end badly.  Jeff #5 asked for my phone number (sort of) and called me today. (Little trivia: Jeff5 was introduced to me by yet another Jeff, who does not get a number because he's married and thusly will never be in my dating pool.) I'm holding off calling him back because shortly after I gave him my number I learned that he was once married to a casual friend of mine. Oh the drama. I have an email in to her to ask if he's a standup guy and if she has a problem with it.

Another ex-boyfriend, "Chicago", texted me while I was out on a "friendship date" with G.S. to say that he's coming to town soon and would love to get together for "six beers". And in case you're wondering, a friendship date is a social engagement whereby the parties, having explicitly established that there is no hope of getting laid or rekindling a dating relationship, nevertheless go out on the town for the express purpose of light flirting and being seen. The date initiator pays and it's bad form to accept any more than two friendship dates in a row without reciprocating with an invitation. Rules, rules, rules. There are rules for dating, rules for not dating, rules for when to have sex or when to stop...

PV also asked me out again, twice in two days, after having given up for six weeks. I can't date him even though he's attractive, smart (enough) and gainfully employed. Judging by the slightly desperate sounding calls I got for weeks after going with him to a party in February, I think there's definite stalker potential there.

So what did I do this weekend? Instead of going to a party at Chuck's house intending to expand my social circle and then heading to an Earth Hour black out party with the same agenda, I let lunch with my sister turn into an all-day/all-night affair, complete with shopping, silly movies (yeah, we watched The Hot Chick and liked it) and Yahtzee. It was great, obviously, because I love and miss my sister, but come on. I'm never going to find a boyfriend at this rate.

toodles,
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment